Dolpo region is situated between the Tibetan plateau and the Dhaulagiri ranges. The entire district was closed to trekkers until 1989 when the southern part of Dolpo was opened to organized trekking groups. Our trekking adventure begins with tours of UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Kathmandu. We then fly to Nepalgunj and then to Juphal from where we begin our trek in the Dolpo region which was made famous by Peter Matthiessen’s book - The Snow Leopard. Nepal’s first English subtitled movie on Dolpo, The Caravan, was also a huge success and was also nominated for the Oscar Award in the best foreign language film category. On our 25-day trek we pass through interesting villages, trekking routes and meet fascinating people. We also cross a few high Himalayan passes and enjoy the vast and tranquil beauty of Phoksundo Lake. From Shey Gompa, we follow the ancient Trans Himalayan Trade route and return back to Jhuphal as our trek ends.
Day by Day Itinerary
Day 01: Arrival at the Tribuwan International Airport in Kathmandu (1,345m). Overnight at a hotel.
Day 02: Pre-trip meeting and sightseeing around the Kathmandu valley. Overnight at a hotel.
Day 03: Fly to Nepalgunj from Kathmandu-1 hr flight . Overnight at a hotel.
Day 04: 35 minutes flight to Juphal (2,400m). Trek to Dunai (2,150m): 3 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
Day 05: Trek to Ankhe (2,660m): 6 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
Day 06: Trek to Renje (3,104m): 7 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
Day 07: Trek to Phoksundo Lake (3,600m): 6.5 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
Day 08: Trek to Phoksundo Khola (3,507m): 6 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
Day 09: Trek to Phoksundo Bhanjyang (4,402m): 7 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
Day 10: Cross the Kang La pass (5,151m) and trek to Shey Gompa (4,126m): 7 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
Day 11: Rest and exploration day at Shey Gompa. Overnight at tented camps.
Day 12: Cross the Saldang La pass (4,785m), and then trek to Namduna Gaon (4,400m): 7 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
Day 13: Trek to Saldang (3,903m): 4 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
Day 14: Trek to Sibu (3,942m): 6 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
Day 15: Trek to foot of the Jeng La (4,369m): 5 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
Day 16: Cross the Jeng La pass (4,845m), trek to Tokyu Gaon (4,240m): 7 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
Day 17: Trek to Dho Tarap (4,090m): 4.5 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
Day 18: Trek to Serkam (3,630m): 6.5 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
Day 19: Trek to Khani Gaon (2,550m): 7 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
Day 20: Trek to Tarakot (2,281m): 4 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
Day 21: Trek to Dunai (2,052m): 5 hrs. Overnight at tented camps
Day 22: Trek to Juphal (2,404m): 3 hrs. Overnight at tented camps .
Day 23: Fly to Kathmandu via Nepalgunj- Total 1 hr and 35 minutes flight . Overnight at a hotel.
Day 24: Leisure day and farewell dinner in Kathmandu. Overnight at a hotel.
Day 25: Transfer to the international airport for your final departure.
- Airport / Hotel / Airport pick up & drop by private tourist vehicle.
- Standard twin sharing accommodation in a three star hotel in Kathmandu; Breakfast included. (4 nights)
- Twin sharing standard hotel accommodation in Nepalgunj (1 night).
- Guided city tour in Kathmandu by private tourist vehicle.
- All your standard Meals prepared by our expert camping cook and kitchen team during the trek (Breakfasts, Lunches and Dinners).
- Tented accommodation and equipment during the camping trek. (We will provide two man tents, dinning tents, kitchen gear, dining table, chairs, toilet tents, shower tent.)
- English speaking guide.
- The required number of local staff, porters and Yaks or Jhopkey to carry your luggage during the trek.
- Food, accommodation, salary, insurance, equipment and medicine for all staff.
- Special Trekking Permit and all local conservation fees.
- Flight fare from Kathmandu – Nepalgunj– Juphal – Nepalgunj - Kathmandu including airport departure taxes.
- Sightseeing/Monument entrance fees in Kathmandu.
- All our government taxes, vat, tourist service charges
- Official expenses.
- Lunch and dinner whilst in Kathmandu.
- Travel insurance which covers emergency Rescue and Evacuation.
- International airfare and airport departure tax
- Nepal entry visa
- Alcoholic and cold drinks.
- Personal trekking Equipment (See the trekking equipment page).
- Tips for trekking staff and driver (Tipping is expected).
- Any others expenses